Thursday, September 20, 2012

How should God's independence affect our day?


[5] I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5 ESV)

A few weeks ago, we considered God’s attribute of independence.  We stated that God’s independence means that that God has no dependency upon anyone or anything (Acts 17:24-25) and also that He is free to do whatever He pleases (Psalm 135:5-6).  On the contrary, we as human beings are utterly dependent beings.  We see this truth in John 15:5, that without Him (Christ), we “can do nothing.”  What I would like us to consider is how we can flesh out this idea of our being completely dependent upon the God who is completely independent. 

One very helpful way is to meditate upon this truth in daily prayer before God.  As each of our days begin, get alone with the Lord to pray something like this:

“Father, thank you for this day that is a grace in and of itself.  I confess that I am utterly dependent upon the finished work of Your Son Jesus Christ in His life, death, and resurrection to even be able to approach Your throne as your son/daughter today.  I also confess that I am utterly dependent upon Your Holy Spirit’s empowering grace to be able to do anything that is pleasing to you today.  I cannot love my neighbor as myself today without You loving them through me.  I cannot love my wife as You love the church today without You loving her through me (or submit to my husband as the church is to submit to Christ without You cultivating that submission).  I cannot bring up my children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord in a way that honors You unless You are bringing them up through me.  I also cannot hear from You clearly in Your Word unless Your Holy Spirit gives me understanding when I spend time in Your Word today. 

Father, I also confess that I am a coward when it comes to sharing my faith.  I cannot speak the gospel to the lost today without Your making me bold and helping me make the gospel clear.  Even then, I am utterly dependent upon You to open up the eyes of those whom I witness to in order to see Your glory and need for You.  My coworkers don’t need to see me today, they need to see You, and I cannot show You to them without You.  Father, truly I can do nothing without You today, but with You nothing is impossible.  So I ask You to be with me this day, empowering me to do Your will and I will act in faith that You are going to answer this prayer.  In Jesus’ name I pray.  Amen.” 

May God bless you in such a daily affirmation of your need for Him! 

No comments: