Saturday, July 7, 2007

A Heartbroken God

Wow, it I'm really tired! My wife and I headed home from Natchitoches today only to get an hour down the road and find out that her aunt had just passed away from massive heart attack. We turned around and spent most of the evening with her Dad's family (it was his sister that passed away). Please lift up the Cheryl Donahoe (?) family in your prayers if you are reading this. Today was Cheryl's birthday, she passed away the same day that she came into this world. Thank God, we actually go to visit with her on the 4th after the fireworks on the riverfront.

While that is something you can pray for, I really wanted to blog about my quiet time today in the scriptures. I was studying Genesis 6 about the condition of the world just prior to the flood. It really hit home with me how the Bible says that God was actually grieved at His heart because of man's wickedness, to the point where He was even sorry that He had put man on the earth. Sometimes I forget just how sin in my life effects God and that He is not some emotionless entity. God is an emotional being and my sin can grieve Him to His heart. It is said also in the scriptures that God was grieved with Israel for their disobedience and hard heart. Ephesians 4:30 instructs us not to grieve God's Holy Spirit who lives within those who are genuine followers of Jesus. My prayer is that God would remind me of just how much it breaks His heart when I act in opposition to Him. The closest thing I can relate it to is my relationship with my wife. I seriously hate anything that I ever do that causes her heartache. I want to avoid that if at all possible. I need to have an even deeper motivation not to break God's heart, not because He will punish me, but because I realize the love relationship that He desires with me and out of a love for Him as my God, I should want to avoid breaking His heart at any cost.

No comments: